Atoka is located in the middle of everything, including the NAFTA corridor.
There are 80 million people within a 500 mile radius of Atoka.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
- There are approximately 14,300 residents in Atoka County, of which 3,250 live in the City of Atoka.
- There are 74,100 people within a thirty mile radius of Atoka.
- There are approximately 304,465 persons within a fifty mile radius of Atoka.
- The Median Household Income of Atoka is $35,200.
- The Per Capita Personal Income of Atoka is $16,520.
- The Median Age of the population in Atoka is 39.
- Seventy (70) percent of the population is a High School graduate.
- Eleven (11) percent of the population has a Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- There are seven elementary schools and four fully accredited high schools in Atoka County.
- The Kiamichi Technology Center has a campus in Atoka. The Center offers specific job-training for its students and will train employees for local industries under the TIPS program at no charge.
- Murray State, a two year college, is located 40 miles west of Atoka in Tishomingo, Oklahoma.
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University, offering bachelor's and graduate degrees, is located 30 miles to the south in Durant, Oklahoma.
- East Central State University, offering bachelor's and graduate degrees, is located 50 miles to the west, in Ada, Oklahoma.
- The City of Atoka is located on US Hwy 69/75 and State Highways 3 and 7 intersect in the City.
- US Hwy 69/75 is one of the nation's leading highways for interstate transportation of goods. Hwy 69/75 is the shortest distance from Mexico, Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth to St. Louis, Mo., the major east/west terminal in the US.
- Estes Freight Lines has a terminal in Atoka in Industrial Park II and ten other freight companies serve the area on an as-needed basis.
- UPS and Fed-Ex serve the Atoka area and Fed-Ex has a hub 50 miles away in Hugo.
- The Atoka Municipal Airport is located two and one half miles from the Park. The airport runway is 2,680 feet with plans underway to expand the runway to 3500 feet in the very near future.
- The Dallas/Ft.Worth International Airport is located 150 miles south of Atoka.
- The Will Rogers World Airport is located in Oklahoma City, 130 miles north of Atoka.
- The City of Atoka has a fire insurance rating of Class 5 and is in the process of moving to a Class 4 rating.
- The property tax rate for Atoka County is $86.56 per $1000.00 of assessed value. The fractional assessment rate for personal property is 10% and for real property is 12%.
- The combined sales tax rate for the City of Atoka is nine and one-half cents ($0.095) per dollar.
- The City of Atoka has no environmental regulations except those required by the State of Oklahoma. The State of Oklahoma's environmental regulations follow the Federal Guidelines.
- The adult labor force for Atoka County is approximately 6020.
- The latest unemployment rate for Atoka County is 6.4%.
- According to the latest available data, the adult labor force for South Central Oklahoma is approximately 139,847 adults. This labor force includes Atoka, Coal, Bryan, Choctaw, Johnston, and Marshall counties.
- The South Central Oklahoma adult labor force includes 18,778 job seekers.
- A total of 48,613 residents of the South Central Oklahoma Labor Force are either Underemployed or Job Shifters, or both, and are readily available to change jobs.
- Nearly one-third of Underemployed workers surveyed indicated they would be willing to change jobs for a pay increase of 10% or less.
- More than half (58%) of all workers indicated a willingness to commute more than 20 miles to their job.
- Among working adults, 34.8% have completed at least a Bachelor’s Degree and an additional 37.5% have had some college or have received an Associate’s Degree. Roughly, 72.3% of the working population has had some sort of post-secondary education
- Oklahoma is now a "Right to Work" state, which allows workers to seek or keep employment regardless of union membership requirements.
Source: The Oklahoma Department of Commerce